Department: Network Management, Auto req ID: 31245BR
Duties & Responsibilities:
HUIT (Harvard University Information Technology) is a University-centralized, IT organization. To assure Harvard’s leadership in IT, we strive to make it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn, and work through the effective use of information technology.
As the service owner of the enterprise-wide Harvard University network, the Director will oversee an immense network with over 150,000 nodes which supports all the Harvard schools as well as the Harvard teaching hospitals in the Longwood Medical area and Harvard’s network at the regional research computing facility in Holyoke, MA.
In joining HUIT in this new role, the Director will lead the continued development of and strategic roadmap for our network; support the goal to design and implement extensible and scalable infrastructure for today and the future; and be responsible to optimize technology investments for maximum impact and managing an $18M operating budget and annual capital projects in excess of $2M. He/she will lead the conversation across the University with technology leaders and researchers, faculty and staff to develop network plans that support their needs and ensure the network continues to evolve as demands and technology change.
The Director will work with industry to establish strategic partnerships that promote innovation and shared problem solving for emerging network issues; work closely with technology colleagues including the school CIOs, the University CTO, CIO, HUIT Senior management team, the CISO and Network Advisory group on architectural design, security programs and funding plans that support the University’s strategic IT plan; develop technology roadmaps that ensure the network is anticipating future business requirements and the growing demand for cloud connectivity; ensure thoughtful life cycle and capital investment plans are in place; maintain high level of technical knowledge and stay abreast of technical advancements in primary functional areas of responsibility; provide the multiyear network vision necessary to execute on strategic projects including VOIP (voice over IP), and video. The Director will also provide leadership, and direction to the management team responsible for network project management, engineering, and operations. He/she will also serve as a mentor for the network team to ensure we leverage current skills and develop necessary skills.
The work climate is highly dynamic, with a constant reweighing of priorities and management of a large, diverse customer base.
- Graduate level degree, desirable and BSBA in a field related to technology or business management; ten or more years of progressive experience in IT leadership.
- Five or more years of experience as a senior/strategic IT lead in a complex higher education research institution, or similar.
- A minimum of 10 years demonstrated technical network experience in a large Cisco LAN/WAN and with a very strong emphasis on network related project management is also required.
- Training and experience in process improvement, Incident and Change management.
- Working knowledge of data center operations, IT security, systems design, information architecture, and customer relationship management is required.
- Experience with service delivery and an understanding of budgeting and capital investment planning, important.
- Proven knowledge of established IEEE Ethernet, IEEE 802.3 / 802.11 standards and interoperability issues with BGP, OSPF, Spanning Tree Protocol, and multicasting, DNS, DHCP and TCP/IP is a must.
- Additional requirements include server and LAN Management: UNIX, Windows, and Mac infrastructure including email, Active Directory domain and mass storage and virtual and physical server hosting.
- Demonstrated strong organizational and management skills are a must with proven ability to lead change.
- Experience in developing and implementing service recovery models, IT policies, procedures and standards.
- Knowledge of HR practices applicable to senior management level, important. Ability to develop, manage and communicate a budget and work with financial analyst to develop rate models is critical. Exceptional written, interpersonal and presentation communication skills are all important to success.
To assure Harvard’s leadership in IT, we strive to make it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn, and work through the effective use of information technology.
Harvard Offers An Outstanding Benefits Package Including:
- Time Off: 3 – 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
- Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Apply at https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWEbHost/jobdetails.aspx?partnerID=25240&siteID=5341&AReq=31245BR